about plein air for the park
Established in 2012, Plein Air for the Park is a collaborative effort of the artists of the Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters Association and the staff and volunteers of the Grand Teton Association. Together we are proud to present this exclusive annual "wet painting" show and sale. Participating artists will create brand new paintings on-location ("en plein-air" as the French say) in Grand Teton National Park and the Jackson Hole area during the 10 days prior to opening day. The new works debut for sale at the impressive Craig Thomas Discovery & Visitor Center in Moose starting Wednesday, July 18. A portion of all proceeds from the show will benefit ongoing educational, interpretive, and research initiatives in Grand Teton National Park.
Connecting the land and people through a shared artistic experience.
Plein Air for the Park offers visitors a unique experience - a chance to see this majestic landscape through the eyes of 40 of the nation's top artists.
Artist demonstrations, like Painting On The Square and the Quick Draw, offer enthusiasts and patrons rare opportunities to enjoy connecting with the artists, and to watch their process unfold, in a personal way.
And our Morning With the Masters program gets young artists out in the field painting their own works with encouragement and personal guidance from our nationally recognized event artists, ensuring that the traditions of artistic appreciation and preservation of this amazing place will continue into the future.
Continuing a century-old artistic tradition
First put into widespread practice by the French Impressionists, painting "en plein aire" (in the open air) has been an integral part of the American landscape painting tradition for over 100 years. Working on location, directly from life, enables the artist to translate their experience of the light, weather, and landscape in the most immediate way, yielding canvases rich with freshness, spontaneity, and emotional impact.
become a purchase patron
Plein Air for the Park is the largest event of the year in support of Grand Teton National Park. It reaches thousands of visitors annually and helps sustain Grand Teton Association sponsored initiatives in the Park. The Purchase Patron program is an integral part of the show's success!
You become a Purchase Patron simply by committing, in advance of the show, to purchase at least one work of art from the show. You are not obliged to spend more than you can afford. The price range for works in the show runs generally from about $500 up to $2,500, with an average price of about $1,000.
BENEFITS OF PURCHASE PATRONAGE:
The benefits of Purchase Patronage are:
- Early access to the show, before the show opens to the public, which affords you a chance get first pick of the new works.
- An exclusive private reception, before the public opening reception, with the artists in attendance - a great chance to meet and visit with the artists in a relaxed atmosphere.
- Public acknowledgement of your support – a “Purchase Patron” ribbon will be hung next to your chosen purchase, along with a printed card thanking you personally, and a special name badge will be made for you to wear with pride at the opening reception.
- A raffle ticket, available exclusively to Purchase Patrons, for a painting donated by Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters that will be raffled off at the end of the Patron reception.
- A complimentary 1 year Grand Teton Association membership
- A special appreciation gift
Purchase patronage is a perfect way to take home a one-of-a-kind original artwork that will not only enrich your life in the years to come but will also help the Grand Teton Association continue its vital ongoing educational and interpretive mission in Grand Teton National Park.
To become part of this exciting program, please contact Marjorie Pettus at: email@example.com or call (307)739-3404